Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Making New Homes

I am part of a group of people in St. Louis who will be giving refugees a more comfortable place to stay for a while as the water receeds and their houses are rebuilt.

Yesterday I met with a local art group here and we made small journals (just 10 sheets of white paper, a cardstock cover, thread binding, minor embellishments on the cover, an envelope attached to the inside back cover, a little note from us on the inside front cover and a paperclip attached to this first page. We thought this would give them
a place to write important information, thoughts, whatever. I can't believe how quick the work went. I think there were 12 of us working. I had to leave at lunch time, but I hear the group finished up 150 journals in all.

One of our members has contacts with the people cleaning up an old prison to make it homey. She's asking them to make an art room available and we have offered to help fill it with supplies. I don't think she's received a response from them about whether or not it is possible.

I will definitely let you all know how you can be of help as I'm made aware of what is needed.

2 Comments:

At 7:26 PM, Blogger Karen said...

AshleyShea, that is fabulous. Art can heal.

 
At 11:41 PM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Inspirational and practical. Keep us posted.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home