Sunday, September 25, 2005

At the Convenience of Others

I've grown very tired of all the propaganda telling me how I'm every bit as human and valuable as a healthy counterpart in this society. How do they figure that is so? Granted there are always going to be examples of those who rose above their disability and still became wealthy and I know they find romance against all the odds. That's the thing about propaganda, it has it's greatest strength when it makes one person's unusual success seem as that which is easily achieved by anyone.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Over the last couple of weeks watching the coverage of Hurricane Katrina certain realities have just for the moment come to light. Not everyone has the means to flee a natural disaster, not the poor, not the disabled, not the elderly. Worse no-one noticed this until after the fact. Even once this truth was evident there were still those who seemed to blame the poor and disabled for not being prepared, some people just don't get it.

I cannot afford to live in the fairy tale that I am anyone's equal. I am not. I cannot keep up if a disaster hits, my survival clearly, depends on the kindness of those around me to help me along at the cost that they themselves are slowed down. Frankly on days I feel really badly, when I am more sick than disabled I often do not feel like putting out any effort to outrun a storm or an earthquake.

If I were superbly wealthy I could hire someone to give a damn, well, hopefully they would give a damn and not run and leave me to sit while the world caves in on me. Many of us are at the mercy of others. we are forced to maintain our lives at the pace others set for us. When we are quiet and out of view we are easily forgotten. I don't know what is more depressing, the state of poverty and poor health, or knowing that society has mostly forgotten you, and there is nothing you can do about it.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The last couple of weeks, while mostly sick in bed, I wondered how I could garner some control of my very existence. That's as far as it will get. I can think about it, for a while, and then it just becomes overwhelming and in order not to sink into depression abandon the demons it stirs up. I pick up the pencils and draw my worst fears, once out I can draw breath easily again, for now.

3 Comments:

At 6:59 PM, Blogger Believer said...

Dear Heart,

What can I say? I too am disabled and spend most of my time in a w.c. Tragedies like Katrina make everyone feel more vulnerable, but especially people in our position. The able bodied can't comprehend the every day difficulties we face, let alone our fears when we think of emergency situations. Feeling overwhelmed really does lead to depression, something else I've experienced, so if you can manage to pull yourself out of that by any means--with help or without--do it.

I could try to write something to make you feel better, but I sense that this is not what you're ready to hear right now. For now I'll simply say that I understand some of your fears.

If you feel like e-mailing me to talk about it, my address is:
bantaces@juno.com

I am a Christian and I pray--so whether you get in touch or not, know that you'll be in my prayers.

 
At 5:04 AM, Blogger jane said...

I hear you....I too feel the separation you feel . I battle with Multiple Sclerosis daily. It was and still is hard to accept the things I no longer can do and develop the things I can do. My biggest fear is loosing my creativity and imagination. My mind is still free to explore the universe and in imagination I can visit Copenhagen or London and never have to fight crowds or stand in line to use a toilet. I feel so lucky to come into the computer age where cameras are filming the streets by the minutes and in the middle of the night when I can not sleep I can go on line and see what others in another part of the world are doing or talk on messenger to my friend in Australia. What a miracle; it is a luxury my working friends dare not share and I am sure my relatives who have passed over would never believe the miracles of today’s world that I have. To send our thoughts out into cyberland is definitely proof that we are here, feeling and caring, crying and creating but still an important part of society. Love and peace to you and perhaps some night when we can not sleep from pain we can meet on the streets of Paris and take in s few of the sights together . Love, Jane

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger aletta said...

Paris sounds wonderful. You're right it is much better with digital cameras and computers when you are housebound.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home